Skip to main content

All Seasons Have an Expiration Date















For everything there is a season, and a time for every [a]purpose under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8

We have all been forewarned that there is an end to everything.  I am reminded of my own life, and all of the endings I endured.  Some seasons were undoubtedly the greatest of my life, and I just wanted to keep reliving those moments and then there where some seasons that were absolutely dreadful and I wanted, rather - needed them to end.  But humans are very interesting, because many times one of the hardest things to do is to let go.  We fall in love and when the season is over, it is - for many of us hard to let go.  We have children and as all moms know, it is hard to let go of our babies, so they can become independent human beings of their own.  We cry on the first day of school watching them walk away from us for the first time to be among strangers.  We squeeze a little tighter when we see them become interested in a boy or a girl.  You get the picture.  Our inability to let go of things also shows up in the form of not forgiving those who have hurt us.   We hold on to past hurts and we carry them into every season of our lives, depriving ourselves of the freedom to fully be present for the current season of our lives.  When we can't let go of the hurt that was done to us in a past season we cannot heal and become whole in our current season.  

When milk expires, it begins to emit an odor.  It is subtle at first but it is inevitable that if it continues to stay bottled past it's expiration date, it will become more rancid and even transform into something no longer resembling it's original created state.  That's what holding on to past seasons and past hurts does.  The longer you carry it, the worse it destroys you.  Your hurt and pain if not healed will transform you into a person you were never meant to become.  It will destroy your happiness, and prevent you from living a free, present, whole and fulfilling life. There are signs that you are holding on to the past too long.  We should be very aware of our feelings, triggers and actions because they will be the biggest sign that we are living in a season that has expired.  Take note of situations that cause you to become angry, or judgmental.  This can be a sign that you are projecting past rejections on to a person or situation.  If you are sad or feel like you need to be validated these are feelings that you may be experiencing because of an expired season that needs to be let go.  

I am not an expert of all things healing, but I do know that true freedom and healing comes from forgiveness and letting go.  I can go into a whole teaching on forgiveness, but I won't since this is my blog and not a bible study.  The thing I want you to take away from this blog, is to take assessment of your life and see what past seasons you are holding on to and take steps to let them go.  Be present in the season you are in, don't hold on to past successes or failures, but keep seeking more of God to fill you up in this present season of your life, you are worth every opportunity that comes your way this season,live your truth and don't let "stuff", hold you back for what God has planned for you in this season.  Enjoy this season, live through the hurt. Forgive when needed. Take courage when needed, be strong when commanded, because this season too will pass.

Blessings,

Novica Olinger 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Must Be Spiritually Woke

I had the honor and privilege to speak at my very first youth conference and believe me when I tell you I have never felt so relevant to young people than I did that day.  It reminded me that just because I am 42, I still had a lot to offer young people and they were eager to listen.   I usually shy away from middle school and teens because they get on my last nerve, and they trigger me in many ways, because of my childhood dealing with sexual abuse and being a teen mom.  I think they remind me of the time I did not have the luxury to be just a kid.  So when I see them doing and making stupid kid decisions, I can't handle it.  Notice I said "kid decisions".  That's what they get to do, and it's perfectly acceptable, but for me, I just cannot deal, call me a hater.  I'm okay with that...lol Speaking to these young adults inspired me more, because they have some adult experiences that I can easily relate and get to them on their level.  However, it's s

Spirit of Deborah Conference

The Spirit of Deborah Conference was definitely a good stewardship of my time!  I attended a workshop this morning talking about Beginning Again in your ministry...Psalmist Julia was great and I learned some things that I plan on implementing in my daily life song.  Evangelist Freda....OMG! She was a powerhouse, she hit the pulpit running and and the context was amazing.  I was encouraged by her testimonies of he Prison Ministry and she is very Genuine and anointed...and did I say Passionate!  God moved in a mighty way in my workshop,  Anyone who would like a copy of the CD or DVD you can go to : http://www.cogmpgt.org/media.htm .  I did go over my time, and I am sure my Bishop would have scolded me if he were there but I do thank Naima for being gracious.  I had a ball and Naima is a comedian, she will have you rolling on the floor!  What a great day.  Nuggets of Faith Ministries will be holding it's monthly women's bible study this Tuesday @ 6-7:30 at my home.  Send me an em